Requesting a Tour of the Palmer Museum of Art
Guided tours of the Palmer Museum of Art are available for school, university, and community groups of ten or more people. Entrance to and tours of the museum are free of charge. Information about parking is available by calling Penn State’s Transportation Services Parking Office at 814-863-7021.
We are happy to assist you in planning your visit to the museum. You may schedule a tour of the Palmer Museum of Art by emailing pmoaDocent@psu.edu. Please contact us at least two weeks in advance of your visit with the following information:
- Name of school/course/organization
- Name, phone number, and e-mail address of contact person
- Number and grade level (if applicable) of members in the group
- Desired date and time of tour
- Topic of tour (see Palmer Tours for more information)
- Any accessibility needs of members of the group
- Whether or not a visit to the gift shop will be part of your visit
If you must cancel a tour for any reason, please notify the museum immediately. If the State College Area School District closes due to inclement weather, the museum will also cancel school tours.
Guidelines for Visiting the Palmer Museum of Art
Thank you for scheduling a tour at the Palmer Museum of Art! We welcome the opportunity to introduce your group to our collections, special exhibitions, and unique architecture. In order for you to make the most of your visit, we ask that you review the following information. Every staff member at the Palmer works diligently to create a pleasant experience for museum visitors, but we cannot do it alone. Observing the following guidelines will ensure a successful museum visit.
Before the visit
Teachers and group leaders may do several things to facilitate a group visit:
Schedule your visit at least two weeks in advance for a docent-guided tour, one week for a self-guided tour.
- Divide students into even groups of 10-15 students per group before arriving at the museum. Please ask students to stay in their groups.
- Provide each student with a name tag printed with his or her first name.
- When scheduling a tour, let us know if you have students or guests that require accommodations due to a disability or if they are planning to visit the gift shop as part of the visit.
Please observe the following policies while visiting the museum:
- Please refrain from touching art or glass cases. Skin oils can seriously damage paintings, sculptures, and decorative arts.
- Leave umbrellas and backpacks in the coatroom or lockers near the security desk.
- Photographs of the permanent collection are permissible without the use of a flash.
- All food items (including gum) should be disposed of before entering the galleries.
- All students should stay with their groups in the museum galleries and gift shop.
(effective July 1, 2019)
- Visitor parking for the Palmer Museum of Art is available for $1 per hour at the Nittany and East Parking Decks.
- Palmer Museum Parking Google Map
- ADA parking is available in lots adjacent to the Palmer with a valid Penn State day permit in addition to the valid state-issued ADA placard or license plate. One-day permits may be obtained from the University Parking Office in Eisenhower Parking Deck on Shortlidge Road, from campus kiosks, or from the Centre County Convention & Visitors Bureau on Park Avenue next to Beaver Stadium.
- ADA parking is also available on each level of the Nittany and East Parking Decks. Elevators are located at the southeast and northwest corners of the Nittany Deck and southwest and northwest corners of the East Deck.
- For more information about parking or permits, call the parking office at 814-865-1436 or visit https://transportation.psu.edu/arts-performance#palmermuseumpaviliontheater
- School buses may unload children directly in front of the museum by stopping on Curtin Road. School bus parking is available in the Porter North Lot located north of Beaver Stadium near the corner of Curin Road and Porter Road.